In 1952 local residents were concerned that the historic character and fabric of Hastings Old Town was being lost by demolition and unsympathetic renovations. To secure a future for the Georgian Stables at the top of High Street and to keep a watchful eye on the historic environment the OHPS was formed.
We have two prime aims which are:
To promote the permanent preservation of buildings of beauty or historic interest
To foster an appreciation of the history of the town of Hastings and to preserve evidence of that history.
Since our formation the society has played a key role in preserving the Net Shops and Pelham Crescent, securing the Stables for the Stables Theatre Trust and leasing the old Fishermen’s Church and forming Hastings Fishermen’s Museum in Rock-a-Nore Road.
In 2005 we acquired 21 Courthouse Street for our HQ and to develop Hastings History House.
In 1962 we started Old Town Week and we still co-ordinate the programme of events for Hastings Old Town Carnival Week a great community event. We run a full schedule of walks and talks and exhibitions during the week.
We welcome new members who support our aims. please download our membership form and return to the History House.